The Signet Classics edition of William Shakespeare’s black comedy.
A complex play that combines pathos and humor, The Merchant of Venice also introduces one of Shakespeare’s most memorable villains, the Jewish moneylender Shylock, who famously demands a “pound of flesh” for what he is owed.
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare’s life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, Kenneth Myrick
• Notes on the sources of The Merchant of Venice
• Dramatic criticism from Nicholas Rowe, William Hazlitt, Elmer Edgar Stoll, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more…